For 40 years, Tubman has been leading the way to hope for women, men, youth and families who have experienced relationship violence, sexual exploitation, addiction, mental health challenges or other trauma. We provide countless ways to help including safe shelter, legal services, mental and chemical health counseling, elder abuse resources, youth programs, community education and much more.
To learn more, please visit www.tubman.org
Harriet’s Closet is an invaluable Tubman resource: a curated selection of clothing for teens and adults of all genders, it offers a personal shopping experience for community members and Tubman clients at no cost to them. Personal Shoppers work one-on-one with individuals who come into the Closet as they shop for and select casual and business-professional attire.
Impact & Benefits
• Make a difference in someone’s life by offering clients a fun, high quality shopping experience while providing them with needed clothes and accessories
• Gain experience providing direct service and support to individuals seeking assistance
• Follow agency guidelines as you interact with and guide clients in selecting clothing and accessories for job interviews, court appearances, and everyday life
• Offer clients community resources and referrals as needed
• Sort and organize donated clothing
• Communicate and collaborate within your team to provide coordinated services to clients
• Enjoy working one-on-one with individuals, willingness to assist clients with clothing selection with patience, kindness, and respect
• Excellent communication, organizational, and people skills
• Ability to listen actively and respond appropriately to clients
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to work with diverse teams and clients to foster a culturally inclusive environment
Time Commitment & Availability
• Commit to one four-hour shift per week for a minimum of six months, with accommodations made for holiday/seasonal travel (“Snow Birds” welcomed!)
• Attend quarterly Harriet’s Closet volunteer team meetings and check-ins with supervisor
Supervision & Training
• Attend Tubman’s Volunteer/Intern Orientation and Training on Tuesday, July 16th from 4-7 P.M.
• Supervised by the Jobs, Education, and Finance Coordinator