Commonwealth Corps Service Member - Library Internship
Methuen, Massachusetts, United States
The Nevins Memorial Library is seeking two Commonwealth Corps service members to join our team in a half-time capacity for a 10-month service term. As a Commonwealth Corps service member, you will engage with diverse communities, strengthen our library services, and gain valuable professional skills and knowledge.
- Stipend of $600 semi-monthly while in service, up to $12,600, minus taxes and withholdings
- Member assistance program, including unlimited, confidential, 24/7 phone counseling services and up to three free, in-person counseling sessions
- Completion award of up to $2000 upon successful completion of service, minus taxes and withholdings
- Reimbursement for outside training or professional development opportunities relevant to member's service and/or goals (Up to $100; dependent on approval from MSA)
- Professional development opportunities specific to adult literacy
- Attendance at industry conferences and associations
- Extensive training from MSA with a diversity, equity, and inclusion focus and other professional development opportunities
- Limited reimbursement for travel to Corps-wide MSA-sponsored activities
- Internet reimbursement up to $50/month while required to complete some service from home if required by site
- Limited travel reimbursement from host site for certain service-related travel away from usual service location, according to agency's policies
- Mental Health/Personal Day once per month counting towards 4 hours
- Opportunity for at least 5 (part-time) days of planned absences (may include holidays, does not count towards hours requirement)
Please note that receiving these stipends/benefits may impact eligibility for certain public benefits.
- Complete a minimum of 750 hours of service, serving through June 22, 2024.
- Attend a minimum of 6 Commonwealth Corps trainings and service events held by MSA post orientation.
- Participate in a minimum of 30 minutes of MSA-related activities each week, such as filling out timesheets, completing bi-monthly reflections or check-ins, and other MSA-related tasks or activities.
- Design and conduct publicity campaigns to recruit new volunteers and support current volunteers.
- Engage and support new and existing literacy students.
- Facilitate group-based learning such as conversation circles or digital/financial/language-based literacy programs.
- Design new literacy-based initiatives for the community.
- Conduct community outreach to advertise our services and network with other community leaders.
- Assist with the digitalization project of office records.
- Participate in the greater Commonwealth Corps community, including cross-site learning groups, writing a short profile for the CC newsletter, connecting with other members on our online platforms, and attending optional social/service events.
Who You Are:
- A Massachusetts resident with legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- 18 years of age or older
- Excited to give back to your community and interested in developing your skills and gaining new professional experiences
- Able to balance service internship commitments with personal commitments in a sustainable way
- Fluent English speaker with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to learn and use new technologies
- Comfortable communicating with non-English speakers
- Willing to undergo a CORI check
It would also be great if you:
- Have previous volunteer experience
- Have previous teaching, instruction, or group facilitation experience
- Have access to reliable transportation for conducting community outreach
- Speak a language other than English (multi-lingual candidates encouraged to apply)
We're excited for you to apply!