TITLE: L 1 Manager
DEPARTMENT: Distribution Center
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
SUPERVISES: Direct Reports: L2 Manager
Indirect Reports: Hourly Associates
Manages and oversees up to 20 associates and all related departmental functions for the various departments of the Distribution Center; including, Receiving, Order Selection, Shipping and Equipment. Each L1’s general goal is to ensure merchandise is scheduled, received, unloaded, and checked for Receiving, replenished, selected and labeled for Order Selection, scanned loaded and shipped for Shipping, and moved and slotted for Equipment. All this is to be completed in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
Essential Department Specific Functions:
• Schedule receiving of merchandise and materials. Coordinate and manage the receipt of merchandise including scheduling, unloading, and checking. Monitor loads to ensure merchandise is unloaded according to priority designations and ensure merchandise is placed in appropriate reserve areas in a timely and efficient manner.
• Establish and monitor daily and weekly receiving schedules and priorities; ensure unloading and check policies are adhered to and resources are utilized appropriately in order to control costs.
• Determine appropriate procedures for receiving and checking merchandise.
Order Selection L1
• Schedule proper retrieval, replenishment and order filling of merchandise to ensure the smooth flow of items to serviced stores.
• Monitor order selection and replenishment to ensure merchandise is stored and selected according to expected quality and accuracy standards, with a strong focus on customer service and high quality communications with stores serviced.
• Determine appropriate procedures for the replenishment and selection of merchandise.
• Schedule shipping of merchandise and materials to ensure the smooth flow of said items. Monitor loads to ensure merchandise is loaded according to quality and accuracy standards with a strong focus on customer service and high quality communications with stores serviced.
• Determine appropriate procedures for the shipping and loading of merchandise.
• Coordinate and manage the movement of merchandise.
General L1 Job Functions:
• Maintain “hands on” accountability for the department goals.
• Supervise daily activities of clerical and warehouse associates. Allocate work, monitor productivity, and secure resources to facilitate staff performance, ensuring the highest standards of quality, accuracy, and housekeeping are maintained.
• Maintain a safe work environment, ensuring all proper safety procedures are enforced and followed.
• Ensure associates are trained on departmental job procedures using the Methods Checklist. Identify any additional training needs in order to assist associates in attaining desired levels of job performance.
• Hire, train, evaluate and develop associates. In conjunction with the Assistant General Manager, carry out evaluations, disciplinary actions and/or recommends termination of employment as appropriate.
• Recommend changes, revisions, additions or deletions to procedures. Continue to monitor the efficiency and cost effectiveness of said procedures.
• Share and provide appropriate information and anticipates information needs of associates.
Qualification/Basic Job Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in business administration or logistics preferred. Minimum of three (3) years distribution center management, operations experience or educational equivalent. Solid knowledge of distribution center practices and procedures. Strong leadership, administrative, organizational, managerial, interpersonal, and communication skills. Progressive analytical ability to gather and interpret information then; develop, recommend, and implement pro-active solutions. Strong ability to coach / lead L2 Managers and associates towards professional success. PC skills, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access. Working knowledge of WMS System.
Physical Requirements: These are physical and mental requirements of the position as it is typically performed. Inability to meet one or more of these physical or mental requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate or employee from the position. Upon request for a reasonable accommodation, the Company may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements, depending on the requirement, the essential functions to which it relates, and the proposed accommodation.
It is a very exciting time at Dollar Tree since our acquisition of Family Dollar stores, and we are immersed in the excitement of operating 14,000 stores, 24 distribution centers with over $19 billion in sales in North America! And this is just the beginning. By store count, Dollar Tree is the largest retailer in the United States. As our store count continues to grow (400+ in 2016), so do the needs in the Distribution Centers that serve them. We are looking for creative people to help fuel this growth at our Joliet DC.
Logistics at Dollar Tree encompasses the operation of 24 Distribution Centers, management of inbound, import, and domestic transportation, and management of outbound transportation with distribution to thousands of stores across 48 contiguous U.S. States and five Canadian provinces.
Doll Tree Logistics is committed to providing exceptional service to our stores through continual improvements in operating costs, quality, and safety. By providing solid leadership, superior execution of processes, acting with integrity, and demonstrating teamwork in all that we do, our mission will be accomplished through our most valued asset – our associates.