MSI manufactures low volume, highly complex electro-mechanical sonar assemblies for defense and commercial applications. This advanced-level position receives high level instructions on new assignments and is expected to exercise independent judgment in determining objectives and approaches to most assignments.
The Senior Engineer acts as the responsible engineer for complex mechanical and acoustic designs and may provide technical direction and guidance to technicians and drafting staff for the completion of drawings, the development of new assembly processes and the fabrication of transducers. This position can be assigned project leadership roles and responsibilities and has primary involvement in design reviews both internal and with customers. To perform at this level an employee is expected to communicate well, perform with high quality, work independently, and interact with others across the company.
The ideal candidate will have experience with acoustics and sonar.
- Produce transducer designs including acoustical and electrical outputs, mechanical configurations, and environmental protection for underwater use.
- Develop, check and evaluate the transducer design formulas and relationships, basic assumptions made, and the limitations and areas of applicability of established engineering principles, methods, and techniques.
- Design components, assemblies and subassemblies
- Design high reliability sensor assemblies
- Direct the preparation of detail drawings with model files
- Complete detailed design and analysis culminating in an engineering drawing package and related parts lists and BOMs
- Direct manufacturing team in assembly of prototype and advanced development model hardware
- Interface with technicians during the design process to address any foreseeable fabrication issues
- Interface with outside vendors, as applicable, to determine part suitability and availability of specific materials and parts
- Organize, interpret, evaluate and analyze engineering problems
- Work with Business Development to bid new prototype programs
- Program management of prototype and development programs including creating and managing to schedules and budgets
- Oversee product specification review and design specification generation for moderate to complex projects
- Design concept generation utilizing hand sketches and other software
- Complete preliminary design and analysis culminating in a detailed 3D CAD layout
- Prepare slides for Power Point type briefings from 3D models and other drawings
- Organize and prepare summaries of the analysis completed to support the design methodology and satisfaction of requirements
- Present and defend design packages at internal and customer attended reviews
- Maintains an efficient and supportive working environment by acting & communicating in an effective manner with customers, clients, co-workers & management
- Maintains a clean, organized and safe working environment
- Complies with work schedules and attendance requirements according to company policy and practices
- Follows departmental & company policies, procedures and objectives; and safety and environmental standards
EDUCATION/YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
A Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science or related technical field is required.
- Must have 5-10 years experience in transducer engineering or a related field
- 3+ years of program management experience driving projects to completion
- Experience in validating designs for production
- Experience in creating, reviewing, releasing, and controlling technical documentation packages in a production enviroment
- Superior presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Work well with business development and manufacturing personnel in a cooperative, team building manner
Must be proficient in a numerical analysis software such as MathCad or MatLab. Must be proficient with commercially available Finite Element Analysis software such as PZFlex or ANSYS. Must be proficient with in Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Must be familiar with 3D solid modelling software such as Solidworks or Alibre.