The Medical Industry
Are you looking for medical internships or entry level medical jobs? If so, you should know that the healthcare sector offers many career opportunities to choose from such as pediatrics, pathology, neurology, or general surgery, to name a few. Medical professionals must demonstrate empathy and support skills, and have a knowledge of tools frequently used by medical professionals, such as diagnostic equipment and patient assistance tools.
Summer medical internships are an ideal way to gain related work experience that will equip you with the tools and on-the-job training you can use to land your dream job in the medical field.
As an intern, you get to engage with medical professionals in ways that new-hires typically don't, as well as give yourself an edge over the competition in the workforce. Interns also are often given the opportunity to focus on specific cases, or to solve medical issues under the guidance of medical staff. Technical lab positions will also teach you software such as Electronic Medical Records (EMR) platforms like eClinicalWorks or McKesson, or practice management and billing software such as MediTouch and Kareo. Students in more technical medical internships will learn how to follow lab procedures or specialize in medical marketing materials.
Medical intern programs will range from three years for internal medicine, five years for surgery, and seven to eight years for neurosurgery after medical school. When students are in medical programs, they are physicians in training and do not have a full license to practice medicine unsupervised yet.
The Career Options
There are many specialty areas in the medical industry to consider, from nursing and pharmaceutical science to dentistry and podiatry. In addition to these career avenues, you might also consider working in public health, clinical care, and healthcare administration. Other options in the medical field include home health services, medical transcription, and occupational therapy. There are varying education levels that are required for different positions, and usually some form of certification is required at the very least.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of jobs in the medical field is expected to grow 19% through 2024, which is much faster than average.
Ready to get your medical career started? Search through our medical internships below.
Search For Medical Internships
MORE 2017 MEDICAL INTERNSHIPS BY LOCATION
- Medical Internships in Arlington, VA
- Medical Internships in Atlanta, GA
- Medical Internships in Austin, TX
- Medical Internships in Baltimore, MD
- Medical Internships in Boston, MA
- Medical Internships in Chicago, IL
- Medical Internships in Dallas, TX
- Medical Internships in Denver, CO
- Medical Internships in Houston, TX
- Medical Internships in Irvine, CA
- Medical Internships in Los Angeles, CA
- Medical Internships in Miami, FL
- Medical Internships in Minneapolis, MN
- Medical Internships in New York, NY
- Medical Internships in Orange County, CA
- Medical Internships in Orlando, FL
- Medical Internships in Pittsburgh, PA
- Medical Internships in San Diego, CA
- Medical Internships in San Francisco, CA
- Medical Internships in Southern California
- Medical Internships in Washington, DC